Restless legs syndrome is a disorder that presents itself as an uncontrollable urge to move their legs, especially when they are at rest, at night. This is a very uncomfortable feeling, accompanied by cold, itching, tingling and pain.
Usually, it is a disorder that affects the feet, but it is said that it can not also affect the arms. Who gets it, because of the inconvenience of the strong, seeing the quality of sleep disturbed.
Symptom of Restless Legs Syndrome
- There is no specific test that can detect the presence of interference, however, there are a number of diagnostic criteria can be observed, common to all people who suffer from Restless Legs Syndrome:
- urge to move the legs, to get relief from numbness and tingling;
- improvement in symptoms following the movement of the foot;
- worsening of symptoms at rest situations;
- follow the circadian rhythm symptoms: worse at night and can be attenuated during the day.
Cause of Restless Legs Syndrome
The causes that lead to this disorder can be the most different. One in all, the lack of critical components for our body, such as iron.
In general, it is believed that cause of the disease is related to the change of the neurotransmitter dopamine. Most recently, he was also suspected of involvement Another hormone, thyrotropin. So restless legs syndrome will occur because of an imbalance between these hormones.
In any case, it seems that there are two different forms of the disease: primary, idiopathic, ie without cause and worsen with aging; secondary, due to conditions or certain diseases, such as pregnancy, kidney failure, diabetes, Parkinson's, multiple sclerosis and other autoimmune diseases.
During pregnancy, restless leg syndrome can affect the percentage of women between 25 and 40%.
Even taking certain medications can affect the incidence of this syndrome. In particular, it seems that the disease is associated with the delivery of active ingredients:
- beta blockers;
Treatment of Restless Legs Syndrome
Against the restless legs syndrome is no really effective therapy. It is known, however, that finding the cause is an indispensable factor in reducing interference and improving the quality of life.
Many patients with anemia, for example, get help from iron supplementation in their diet. Because iron deficiency seems to be one of the triggers disorders.
Pregnant women, however, have to take large doses of vitamin B12 and folic acid.
In any case, it may be useful to use some natural remedies, at least to alleviate the symptoms.
- Massage, stretching, meditation and yoga can play a vital contribution to muscle relaxation.
- In this case, it can also aid relaxation herbal tea, to be taken before bedtime, such as herbal tea, lemon balm, passionflower and chamomile, which is the nature of the sedative.
- In addition, it is important for health care for sleep, and sleep in a comfortable, cool and make sure to follow a specific time to sleep.
- Definitely avoid beverages containing caffeine, heavy meals rich in fat, smoking and alcohol.
- Before going to sleep, a relaxing bath, foot massage practice and relaxation of muscles: deep breathing for a few minutes, stretch the leg muscles for a few seconds. Then, relax. Do the same thing, in the development from the bottom up, with all the muscles of the body.